Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Three firsts ???

My first post for 2012 - didn't manage to get it done in January because I was busy stitching !! lol that's my excuse.

So, what was I stitching?  well I was finishing the stitching on DT English Garden Pocket.  As to when the actual finishing of the pocket will occur - well that's another question.  I have had it hanging over the back of a chair in the hope that I may pluck up the courage to start the cutting and making process, but so far there has been no sign of that happening although I have read the instructions several times. 

I decided to check out Karen Vincent's finishing service, but her website has not been updated and her Picasa albums have disappeared, so do hope all is well with her. 

Enough waffle - here is the piece in question:

First Finish for 2012

I used Needlepoint silks on 32 Belfast cream but I changed the colour of the house as I thought it was a bit too blue.

I had promised myself that I would actually make up some of the pieces I have stitched, but that wasn't about to happen and I really wanted to get on with some proper stitching.  Boris and Olga were calling to me so I pulled them out only to find I didn't have any of the required threads (ok, I could have done them in dmc but  .... ).   Christmas At Hawk Run Hollow was next on the pile ... ahh  NPI, that's better.... but guess what - of the 59 shades required I only had 16 in my collection.  Buying 43 NPI didn't fit in with my "use whatever you have in the stash" resolution, so I bit the bullet and started it with what I had.  For the first block I only had two of the NPI so went all the way with DMC.  I will assess each block as I get to it.  The very good news was that I had the perfect piece of linen - 40ct Zweigart - which had been a gift from Sandra, and the colour seemed to be a good substitute for the recommended Lakeside Linens Examplar.  After hours of deliberation/procrastination I put the first stitches in on the 21st January. 

I have given myself a personal challenge to get one block done each month and should I finish a block before the end of the month, then - woo hoo, I can start on Boris.
I am really proud to say that I finished Block one on 14th February and bearing in mind that I only started on 21st January that is some kind of record for me.


First Block of CHRH finished

Block two is on the way, but there is a lot of stitching in it so I will need to keep threading those needles if I am to stay on target.

By the way, I have found a great use for the IPad I received for Christmas - I can zoom into Nicole's finished CAHRH and see exactly which colour I should be using and whether the dmc is a good match or  not - Thank you Nicole!

Happy stitching
Mary

12 comments:

From the Attic said...

Hi Mary

You will get onto the finishing when the time is right I am sure. Love the look of what you have done with your CAHRH. I am going with the 'use what I have got' resolution too.

Chrissie

Deborah said...

Love your finished piece. Great start on CaHRH!

Margaret said...

lol about using the iPad to check out Nicole's CaHRH for colors! Isn't it amazing what uses we find for our gadgets? Love your DT finish! So gorgeous! I'd heard that Karen had given up her finishing business, which is a shame. I hope it's not true. Your first block of CaHRH is beautiful! I so need to stitch that one someday.

Siobhán said...

Beautiful finish!! I am trying to do the same thing with the 'use what I have' resolution, because I really have so much that it's a shame to just keep hoarding more. I say that while realizing that I will probably be crying when Market stuff is revealed! LOL

Love the new start! As much as I absolutely LOOOOOVVVVE NPI silks, I have come to realize just how nice DMC is, too, and that it won't kill me to use it. I saw the model for CaHRH when it was still being stitched and then I saw a friend's finished CaHRH done on 32 ct in DMC and they were equally as beautiful.

Carol said...

Nice start on your Christmas at HRH, Mary. I stitched the whole thing in DMC and I think it looks great :) Good luck with it--it is well worth the effort.

Oh, and I got an iPad for Christmas as well--really wonderful "toy" isn't it?!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

OH, Mary! Your DT finish is beautiful! I would have to send it off - I'd never trust myself to finish it. Love your CaHRH start and good for you for using what you've got! We should all do more of that!

Lois said...

What a lovely DT finish Mary! Well done on your CaHRH start. Karen is no longer doing finishing which is a shame. I'm trying to use more of what's in my stash and have to say that I'm enjoying using good old DMC and knowing that the colours won't run!

Debby said...

Great stitching!! I am doing the houses and the village also!

Greetings from Debby,
www.crossstitchstyle.blogspot.com

Solstitches said...

It looks as though we were both working on designs by The Drawn Thread at the turn of the year :)
Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog Mary. I can never email my thanks as you are a noreply blogger but I do appreciate all of your lovely comments.
I love your beautiful finish and I'm not sure I've ever seen this design before so must go check it out. It's so pretty.
You've chosen a lovely design to start. I love CAHRH and this block is gorgeous.
I have HOHRH as another giant UFO. Maybe you will inspire me to finish it :)
That said I'm dying to start something new!
Thanks for the iPad tip. I am saving for an iPad and can't wait.
Margaret

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your finished piece is beautiful! Something to appreciate for a long time.

The CH Christmas is a beautiful piece--not sure I enough discipline to do this piece, Looking forward to following your progress!

Anonymous said...

Hello

Just found your lovely blog.

Your stitching is beautiful. Your DT finish is gorgeous, lovely colours.

Jan Gartlan said...

I love your finished piece and the first Christmas block. I have the pattern, the threads but need to get the linen. I love CatHRH.