Well here is my Blessings - all finished. My first finish for 2010.
I have been looking at it for the last couple of days to make sure I hadn't missed out any more bits of it. I stitched my initials and the year on it last night and finally removed it from the frame and got to see the whole of it for the first time, and I love it, and I am happy with the choices I made - glad I only did half the blackwork panel as well.
It is large - the actual stitching measures 21" X 7.5" (53 X 18.5cm). I don't have anywhere to hang this one but I would like to get it framed and maybe I will just lean it against the wall somewhere.
I started this on 19 November as a SAL with Chrissie but I got left behind in December when I had visitors staying with me, and I knew that if I got too far behind I would lose heart and it would never get finished, so I just concentrated on this to the exclusion of everything else (even my cards took a back seat). This is the largest sampler I have ever stitched and I have done it in 4 months - that is a record for me - I would never have done it on my own, so Thank You Chrissie - I don't know how you have managed to do two SALs at the same time.
There are lots of firsts in this sampler - first SAL; first time I have altered nearly all the colours on a sampler; first time I have altered the pattern; first time using a frame, and of course the biggest first was starting this blog so I could record my progress, so all in all a real learning curve.
The blog itself has been great - 'meeting' other stitchers and seeing their beautiful work and of course, wanting to stitch so many of the pieces they have done - many of which I had never seen before as I had mostly stayed with my favourite designers, Shepherds Bush and Drawn Thread, and I certainly hadn't ventured into the world of antique samplers and such.
I still have two SB WIPs (and maybe a few others tucked away) and although I have put in a few stitches on the needleroll I really need to START SOMETHING NEW. I have a small one in mind for today.
I have ordered the beautiful Elizabeth Savilles and I can't wait to start that one. I didn't order the Olde Willow threads specified for it because I have so many different ones already that I don't want to start another collection. I looked at the colours on their site and I am hoping I can match them with the Gloriana ones I have.
Have also ordered some Blackbird patterns, but decided against the new Honeysuckle Manor and I am already regretting that decision but I can order it later I guess.
My foray into large pieces has led me to believe that maybe I could manage to do Christmas at Hawk Run Hollow - I loved it when I first saw it but ruled it out as too big and also specifically Christmas, but now I am feeling a little more confident, and having read the pattern through I think I will aim for one block a month like a lot of the girls did, so it is in the line after Elizabeth.
If you are still here after this monologue - I thank you - I am sure you can tell I am well and truly doing the happy dance here.
Mary
4 comments:
Dear Mary, your Blessings is truly beautiful and I will be happy if mine looks half as good. As for me doing two SAL's - I have not coped so well with that and am lagging behind in both. However, I am planning on just doing my best and continuing on although can't see me catching up.
So, congratulations on your series of 'firsts' and thank you for the encouragement you gave as we ploughed our way through this SAL. Your choice of colours has worked out perfectly and your idea of only doing half of the blackwork band which I have also chosen to do has worked out great.
Looking forward to seeing Blessings framed and your next project started and hopefully my finish won't be too far behind.
Chrissie
Well done Mary on a truly amazing finish. It doesn't matter if you don't have anywhere to hang the framed picture, as I think they often look good just propped up against a piece of furniture. I have a picture standing on a chest of drawers in the bedroom, because I was too lazy to hang it up, but now I like it there.
It looks lovely Mary. Look forward to seeing your next project.
WaHOOOOOOOOOO! Congratulations, Mary!! Your sampler is beautiful. I can't wait to see your Elizabeth done in Glorianas--that will be a treat. As for the Hawk Run Hollow designs, the only thing that's hard about them is the size. If you look at each block as a finish within itself, and don't think, "I'm going to finish this in two months" or something insane like that, then you'll get it done. CHS Kathy does such an amazing job with colors that you'll love working on it. Go for it!! And go for the BBD book, too. It's wonderful. Congrats again! Enjoy your weekend.
Post a Comment